Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_7b6bb0663d83ead35d7384a7aeebe0ba, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/visual-portfolio/classes/class-get-portfolio.php on line 25

Warning: session_start(): Failed to read session data: files (path: ) in /var/www/html/wp-content/plugins/visual-portfolio/classes/class-get-portfolio.php on line 25
Church of Saint Gregory - Accademia cittadella Nicolaiana

Church of Saint Gregory

In the Court of Catapano there were five churches, of which the Church of St. Gregory was the only one not to be demolished. The Church of St. Gregory is a classic example of Romanesque architecture, with its facade divided by three tall and thin columns and a rose window enriched with floral motifs and images of animals. The funerary inscriptions on the walls are also unusual, with many of Bari’s most characteristic surnames, such as Malipezza and Meliciacca.

Entering the church you can admire a wooden crucifix dating back to 1700, and a series of columns with capitals that all date back to different eras and therefore have very different styles, sizes and decorations.
The Church of St. Gregory also regularly hosts Romanian and Orthodox rite celebrations.

Continue reading, learn more The Nicolaian Museum.